95. We present you the list of such interesting, unique names of Albanian boys for your baby boy: 62. 46. 82. If you look, next to each surname in this list you will find a number. Albanian history is filled with men of high stature, strong deeds, and great achievements. 53. Gezim meaning "happiness". The accuracy of these name definitions cannot be guaranteed. However, if your surname appears among these 300 surnames, we are afraid that you will have to stand out for other qualities, as you will be quite common as far as surnames for Albanians are concerned. 90. Afrim meaning "approach". Ermal meaning "mountain wind". Fisnik meaning "noble; gallant". It is associated with an Illyrian saint. Surroje meaning "place". Another factor is the secularisation that took place during Socialist rule, which discouraged explicitly Christian or Muslim given names. 92. This name comes from the Illyrian tribe. Murat (Turkish origin) meaning "a wish; desire". In Albania the prepare carry on to commonly consists of a given name Albanian: emri; the condition shit of the individual's father Albanian: atsia, which is seldom included except in official documents; together with a most usually patrilineal family name or surname Albanian: mbiemri. Admir (Slavic origin) meaning "warrior; peace bringer". Adir (Hebrew origin) meaning "mighty". In the North and in Kosovo, clan names are also very prominent, most notably the names of widespread clans such as Krasniqi, Berisha and Gashi. Erlblin meaning "scent of linden tree". 16.
What do you think? Pellumb meaning "dove". Ergi meaning "love". 78. So it is possible that you may find in Albania a surname that you know perfectly well is not a Albanian Fatmir meaning "Good luck". In 1912they declared themselves independent but struggled to maintain control of their countries as other European empires battled for control of the land. Such diversity in names will not be found anywhere but here. Ismail Kadare is known to be the most popular writer and poet from Albania. For more Eastern European baby names inspiration, take a look at Bulgarian Baby Names and Greek Boys' Names. Submitted names are contributed by users of this website. This name is associated with the last Illyrian king of the Adriaen kingdom. surname, that may help you get an idea of how many people from the same country from which that surname originates have emigrated to Albania and have settled there. A strong Albanian name for a baby boy. 75. Dalmat meaning "sheep". It is just north of Greece and shares borders with Kosovo, North Macedonia, and Montenegro; Italy sits on the other side of the Adriatic Sea.. Albanian football player Liridon Ahmeti is known by this name. Driton meaning "light". Have you missed any surname that you thought was very common in Albania, and yet it has turned out not to be on the list? Mergim meaning "exile".
Many surnames in Albania have Islamic and Christian roots. 18. A vintage name for men all over the world, including Albania. Vetone meaning "an ancient warrior". According to a decree issued in 1966, Muslims in Albania had to conform their names to Albanian names while newborn Albanians had to get non-religious names. Asti meaning "golden". Fatos meaning "daring; brave". While in Kosovo, Montenegro and North Macedonia, Albanian "Illyrian" and religious names are quite common, in Albania proper, Albanian or Muslim names are rarely given. This name is associated with a politician and former president of Kosovo Atifete Jahjaga. Finally, in the 15th century, they became part of the Ottoman Empire and were essentially cut off from the western world for the next four hundred years.. Admir Teli is an Albanian retired professional footballer. During the Communist regime, based on the theory of the Illyrian origin of Albanians, supposedly Illyrian names were constructed as appropriate names instead of religious ones. 73. 22. Ylli meaning "star". Known to be an Albanian form of Stacy. Knowing which surnames are most abundant in Albania at the moment helps us to take a snapshot of the country's current reality.  In Greece, and likewise in Italy, many Albanian newcomers change their Albanian names to Greek or Italian ones and their religion, if they are not Christian, from Islam to Christianity. Mergim Neziri is a famous German-Albanian, footballer. This Albanian baby name is made by the Albanian skier, Erjon Tola.
Copyright 2022 Kidadl Ltd. All Rights Reserved. Albania is a small country on the Balkan Peninsula along the Adriatic and Ionian Seas in Europe. This Albanian baby name is associated with the Albanian actor and Comedian Ermal Mamaqi. 33. Ardian meaning "of the future". As you can see, a few simple statistics on surnames in Albania can provide much more information than may appear at first glance. Lefter meaning "broke". This name is associated with Albanian politician Besnik Bekteshi. This name is associated with an Albanian footballer. Stejsi meaning "resurrection". The surnames Gega, Gegprifti, Gegaj etc.
This name is associated with the popular Albanian football player, Ardit Beqiri. from the necropolis at Dyrrhachion excavated in 195860. Altin (Turkish origin) meaning "golden". We encourage you to continue your research. Here's the list of the names of these extraordinary Albanian boy names and meanings: 24. When the Communist government took control, there was an increase in Illyrian-style names as an homage to Albanias supposed golden age. However, in the past 30 years, names have shifted towards Western and English trends.. Gjon meaning "lucky one". Information on our advertising guidelines can be found, Family Education is part of the Sandbox Learning family of educational reference sites for parents, teachers, and students.. This name is associated with Albanian politician Abdyl Kellezi. Considered to be one of the rarely used non-binary Albanian names. 19. Atifete meaning "patriotic". 9.
Lorik meaning "brave"; freedom. In this list we have totally updated statistical information about the most common surnames among Albanians, so if you are looking for information about whether your surname would stand out in Albania, we warn you that if it is not in this list, yes, your surname would be something uncommon in Albanian lands .
Albanian names have changed dramatically with more opting for foreign, English or Romance names in recent times than traditional Balkan names. Albanian given names are traditionally original Albanian-meaning names, or religious names (Islamic or Christian). Makes up for a cute and unique Albanian baby name for a boy.
36. 17. Common last name endings include -aj, as well as common definite Albanian nominative singular endings: A large number are neither and are simply from, Another major source of Albanian last names are. Engjell meaning "angel". The practice was. 25. Absolutely rare last name, of Albanian origin. Endi meaning "defender of people; lightness; power". 14. Elif (Turkish origin) meaning "beautiful; slender".
In a decree of November 1975, all the citizens of Albania whose names were considered objectionable by the Albanian Communist Party were ordered to change their names to "pure Albanian names" by the end of the year. Considered to be one of the popularly used Albanian names for boys. So here, we present to you a list of cool 100 Albanian boy names for your little bundle of joy. Drin meaning "river name"; holy".
Similarly, it is interesting to try to discover what the current data are on the most used surnames in the countries neighbouring Albania, and whether they have any surnames in common or if, on the contrary, the coincidences are minimal or non-existent. They are invariably assumption in the Western name order, or precondition name followed by species name. They are passionate about turning your everyday moments into memories and bringing you inspiring ideas to have fun with your family. Famous football player Flamur Kastrati is known by this name. If you keep searching in other countries you will surely find that surname that you thought was Albanian and that turns out to be more common in another country than Albania. Edon Hasani is a popular Albanian footballer. 45. "L'origine dei cognomi Italianim storia ed etimologia" di E. Rossoni disponibile online su. Traditional Albanian names were religious, either Christian or Muslim. Albanian names are said to be among the rarest of rare names found in the whole world.
James (English origin) meaning "supplanter". Kidadl has lots of great baby names articles to inspire you. It is an Albanian form of grace. Fisnik Gashi is a popular Albanian football player.
From lino cutting to surfing to childrens mental health, their hobbies and interests range far and wide. 70. additions provided by Stefano Ferrazzi Originally from Albania, this surname derives directly from the term hoxha (pronounced hogia), which, in predominantly Muslim Albania, indicates the figure of the Islamic priest, also known as the preacher or master of Islam - the hoxha term, in Albanian language, is an old loan of the Turkish hoca, in turn taken from the Arabic hodja or hoja (teacher, teacher): in this regard, to be precise, it should be remembered that Islam is a widely spread religion in Albania, following the long Ottoman domination known by the Albanians (from 1478 to 1912). Erion meaning "the wind of Ionian sea". This is partly a sum of the high net emigration rate of Albania and the desire of most Albanian emigrants to assimilate internationally. Of course it is the official number given according to the latest statistics made in Albania, and they take into account not Albanians, Sometimes the data surprises us, but that is what encourages us to want to know more about surnames and the reasons why the 300 most common Albanian surnames are the ones presented in this list, and not others. Albanian ballroom dancer Driton Dovolani is known by this name. Skender (English origin) meaning "defender of mankind".
55. 57. 2. This name is associated with famous American actor James Belushi who is from Albania.
Most of the names below are no longer used or are rarely used and probably wont be found on any top 1000 name lists, but it is always interesting to look at some ancient names for inspiration! For more parenting tips and tricks, find us on Pinterest: Are you a writer, expert, or influencer?
Valon meaning "wave of the flag". 89. A Complete List Of Albanian First Names And Meanings, A Complete List of Albanian First Names and Meanings. Gabriel (Hebrew origin) meaning "man of God". Traditionally, given names in Albania did non have Albanian origins because they were religious names, either Christian or Islamic. 69. Dren is the real name of the DC Comics character 'Scarlet Skier'. 8. Cevdet (Turkish origin) meaning "maturity". These names come with a load of history and importance. That number is the number of people who carry that surname in Albania. This name makes up for a cute Albanian baby boy name.
26. Albanian physicist Enggjell Licaj made this name popular. During the Communist regime, based on the abstraction of the Illyrian origin of Albanians, supposedly Illyrian names were constructed as appropriate names instead of religious ones.
This name is associated with the famous Albanian football player Lefter Millo. Luan meaning "lion". 34. 71. In this way, and crossing these data we have about the current Albanian surnames with the most abundant Albanian surnames one hundred or two hundred years ago, we could get an idea of how Albanian society has changed and the level of impact that migration may have had in a country like Albania. 23. Albanian names are unique; there s no question about it, but what is makes them quite different are their spellings and their quirky pronunciation. They are unique, funny, meaningful, cute, beautiful, popular and religious too. 85. It was kept as the name of Albanian rulers. Erjon meaning "our wind". Greis (Latin origin) meaning "graceful; beauty". 3. It is considered to be one of the unusual and rarest baby boy names in Albania. L. Elizabeth Forry is an Early Childhood Educator with 15 years of classroom experience and is the mom of two creative and crazy boys. Ardit meaning "golden day". Albanian men are unique and different, just like their names, and some became famous too. Noel (French origin) meaning "Christmas". 86. When you buy through the links on our site we may earn a commission. Most Albanians consider themselves descendants of the Iyllirians who migrated to the area during the Bronze Age circa 2000 BCE.
Post-WWII, they became a communist state and remained as such until 1989, when the communist regime fell. Well, known Albanian football player Elseid Hysaj made this name very famous. Elseid meaning "luck". The well-known Albanian politician, Turhan Permeti, is known by this name. 6. Turhan (Turkish origin) meaning "noble; of mercy". 48. 31. Many last names were originally surnames, numerous of these being either Muslim Ahmeti, Rexhepi, etc., Bektashi Bektashi itself as a surname, Dervishi, Shehu, etc. Ferid (Arabic origin) meaning "precious; unique". In 2014, among the 20 most commonly used given names for newborn children in Albania, there was not a single Albanian name. These could be native Albanian words like Flutur "butterfly", ideologically communist ones like Marenglen Marx-Engels-Lenin, or "Illyrian" ones compiled from epigraphy, e.g. Names starting with Papa- usually indicate Christian origin but there are cases where this is the followed by a Muslim part i.e. "Kryezi" means "Blackhead" in Albanian hence same meaning in Arbrisht/Arvanitika. 50. This Albanian baby name is associated with Saint Alban. Instead, "international" Christian or English names were most popular. This name is associated with well known Albanian writer, Gjon Buzuku.
If youre considering a unique name as you search for baby names, check out our complete list of Albanian baby names. Buy a heraldic document with your coat of arms, (Spoken words fly away, written words remain), 2021 - 2022 Heraldrys Institute of Rome -. Erminus meaning "wind from the Ion seas". probably indicate Northern Gheg origins, as Toska and Toskaj do for Southerners. 98. Bekim meaning "blessed". In addition, many names, even whether not explicitly, are strongly identified withregions and Albanians can often tell another Albanian's regional origin from their last name. Albanian boy names are funky and cool, which you may consider in giving such names to your baby boy too. Ahmet Delia was an Albanian freedom fighter. Albi, meaning "country Albania". This name is associated with the Albanian footballer Altin Rraklli. One of the short and sweet baby boy Albanian names. Bardhyll meaning "white star". The government issued a decree ordering people to change their religious names to "pure Albanian names", while newborns had to receive non-religious names.. Liridon meaning "desire for freedom". 60. Find your Albanian first name from A to Z and learn about its meaning and origins. This name got popular due to the ancient Illyrian king, Bardhyll. Is Candy and Chocolate Okay for Toddlers? 54. Get in touch!
but people who currently live in the country. For example, the word in Arvanitika Arbrisht for "brave" or "pallikari" in Greek being "anavar" Turkish canavar meaning "monster" or its shortened form "avar" was pronounced "tzanavar" or "tzavar" giving birth to Arvanitic family names like "Tzanavaras" and/or "Tzavaras". Learn to recognize name variations and see clues in names.
Kreshnik meaning "knight". Orthodox Christian names tend to be heavily Greek, including last names which have counterparts in the Greek language. It is a derivation of 'Ardiaei', the name of an ancient Illyrian people. 41. However, its people have continued to shift towards western ideas, technology, and alliances since the 90s while holding on to the things that make them uniquely Albanian., Albanian names have followed different trends, often reflecting the government or national feeling at the time. In the field of surnames, for example, it is very curious to observe that Hoxha is the most widespread surname in Albanian land, a fact that, alone, says a lot about the Islamization process implemented in the country - a very similar principle, to say the truth is also found in neighboring Greece, where, in a largely Orthodox Christian context, the most widespread surname is precisely Papadopoulos, with the meaning of of the priest (see Papadopoli). If you are interested in naming your little boy with an unusual yet meaningful name, then Albanian names are just right for you! The " Kriezis is a very common Albanian surname. 7.
Many Arvanite surnames are found in Albania, in the contemporary Albanian form. Ismail meaning "heard by God".
Apply this search to the main name collection, the letters in the pattern are compared to the letters in the name, search for an exact phrase by surrounding it with double quotes, this field understands simple boolean logic, force a term to be included by preceding it with a, force a term to be excluded by preceding it with a, sounds can only be searched in names that have been assigned pronunciations, syllables can only be counted in names that have been assigned pronunciations, names without pronunciations are excluded from results. Many modern names are thus Greek or Italian. Papazisi, a name held by Albanians of both Christian and Muslim heritage.
30. 63. Nderim meaning "honor; respect; favor". This name is associated with the Albanian writer Fatmir Agalliu. A strong and powerful name for Albanian baby names. However, their early history was rife with conflict as many empires used the abutting seas to access the land. The Ultimate List of International Women's Day Activities to Do With Kids. This name is inspired by the name of the city Valone in Albania. 28. In Communist Albania, an Illyrian origin of the Albanians without denying "Pelasgian roots", a theory which has been revitalized today continued to play a significant role in Albanian nationalism, resulting in a revival of given names supposedly of Illyrian origin, at the expense of given names associated with Christianity or Islam. Genti meaning "flower". Famous Albanian writer, Afrim Peposhi, is known by this name. This Albanian name is related to the former Albanian footballer, Lorik Cana. Another major consultation of Albanian last names are place names- Albanians sometimes took their hometowns as surnames, and especially when a nature moved to another place, they often took their former residence as a surname, leading to somewhat alive known last names such(a) as Frashri, Prmeti, Shkodra, Kelmendi, Shkreli, Delvina, Prishtina, etc.. FamilyEducation does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Albanian philosopher and sociologist Gazim Albion made this name famous. Daniel (Hebrew origin) meaning "God is my judge". 11. Albanian names are known for their out of the world and quirky charm. 83. The long mutual influence of the population resulted in a large number of Albanian surnames. 79. Abdyl meaning "servant". Finuala (English origin) meaning "having fair shoulders". 47. Your partner in parenting from baby name inspiration to college planning. In this way we can guess what kind of relations Albania has with its neighboring countries, and whether there has been mobility between the countries or not.
101. 29. Kristi (English origin) meaning "Christ". This trend originated with the 19th century Rilindja, but became more common after 1944, when it became the Socialist government's policy to heavily discourage religious given names. The famous Nobel prize winner for medicine in 1998, Dr Ferid Murad, is known to have this name. 12. Apart from its rich cultural heritage, Albania is known for its famous tourist attractions too. Ahmet meaning "Praiseworthy". Albanian football player, Daniel Xhafaj, made this name popular.
87. Their rugged mountain terrain has allowed the Albanian people to live mostly in isolation despite being close to other countries and cultures. Kreshnik meaning "knight". Sandbox Learning is part of Sandbox & Co., a digital learning company.