The large church basement has been used as a cafeteria for the parish school, a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, rehearsal space for The Rockettes, and for boxing matches. The life of the parish has mirrored the growth, decline and rebirth of the Hell's Kitchen neighborhood. Both organs are playable simultaneously from one French-style console, built by the Peragallo Pipe Organ Company in 2000, which rests on a movable platform. Mller Pipe Organ Company's Opus 9987, built in 1965. A new Late Victorian Gothic Revival-style church was built between 1876 and 1884 designed by Jeremiah O'Rourke and the Rev. Cyril & Methodius and St. Raphael, Church of the Incarnation, Roman Catholic, Church of the Transfiguration, Roman Catholic, Our Lady of Guadalupe at St. Bernard Church, Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Church (LaGrangeville), Church of St. Martin de Porres (Poughkeepsie), Church of St. Mary, Mother of the Church (Fishkill), Our Lady of Mount Carmel's Church (Poughkeepsie), St. Charles Borromeo's Church (Dover Plains), St. Joachim and St. John the Evangelist's Church (Beacon), St. John the Evangelist's Church (Pawling), Church of the Immaculate Heart of Mary (Scarsdale), Immaculate Conception St. Mary's (Yonkers), St. Vito-Most Holy Trinity Parish (Mamaroneck), List of Catholic charities in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, History of the National Register of Historic Places, National Register of Historic Places Portal, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=St._Paul_the_Apostle_Church_(Manhattan)&oldid=1090696310, 19th-century Roman Catholic church buildings in the United States, Properties of religious function on the National Register of Historic Places in Manhattan, Gothic Revival church buildings in New York City, Roman Catholic churches completed in 1884, Religious organizations established in 1858, Churches on the National Register of Historic Places in New York (state), Articles using NRISref without a reference number, Short description is different from Wikidata, Articles needing additional references from December 2016, All articles needing additional references, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, This page was last edited on 30 May 2022, at 21:40. St. Bernard's School of Theology and Ministry, Saturday: 3:00 pm - 3:45 pm (Or by appointment).  Rev Isaac Hecker, who founded the Paulist Fathers, may have had a hand in its design as well, using the thirteenth-century Cathedral of Santa Croce, Florence as a model. The Church of St. Paul the Apostle is a Catholic church on the Upper West Side of Manhattan in New York City. 330 W. Main St.Hancock, NY 13783Phone: (607) firstname.lastname@example.org, 2022 Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany | 40 North Main Avenue, Albany, NY 12203 | (518) 453-6600 | Diocesan Portal | Webmail.
In 1858, the Paulist Fathers first took possession of a frame house containing a small chapel at 14 West 60th Street. St. Paul the Apostle serves as the parish for Catholic students at nearby Fordham University, the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, and the Juilliard School. The Paulist Fathers first took possession of a frame house containing a small chapel at 14 West 60th Street. In 1925, the Paulists launched radio station WLWL.  The community's motherhouse is on West 59th Street, adjacent to the church.  A major renovation and restoration of the church was begun around 2000, and as of 2013 is still underway..
The church was renovated in 1958 and again in 1994. A combination rectory and church was built on 59th Street and the cornerstone was laid by Archbishop John Hughes on June 19, 1859. The present building dates from the 1930s.  By 2020 the Mller instrument was in need of restoration.  It is the mother church of the Paulist Fathers, the first order of Catholic priests founded in the United States, The parish was founded in 1858, and their original church was a simple brick structure built on part of the current lot, but the congregation soon outgrew it.. We are a Roman Catholic Christian Community whose mission is "At. Today, the parish, with six Masses each Sunday, has a large young professionals community and a Spanish-speaking community.  In February 2021 the church acquired the historic Roosevelt Organ Works Opus 525 that had previously been installed at the former All Saints Church. ", The church was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1991, and designated a New York City Landmark in 2013. Paul Rospond, C.S.P. White and Goodhue also offered advice on design elements. In 1903 the 9th Avenue elevated train ran directly in front of the church. The church is known for its ecclesiastical art, and contains interior elements designed between 1887 and 1890 by Stanford White and many large decorated side chapels.  The granite for the stone entrance steps was salvaged from the French Second Empire-style Booth's Theatre on Sixth Avenue at 23rd Street.  Renowned organist Virgil Fox recorded The Christmas Album on the Mller Organ in 1965.
 Other Paulist Fathers are entombed in crypt off a chapel on the lower level of the church. The cornerstone of the present church was laid on June 4, 1876, and the church dedicated on January 25, 1885. The parish opened an elementary school in 1886 and a high school in 1922. Lumen Martin Winter's Angel of the Resurrection adorns Hecker's sarcophagus, located in the northeast corner of the nave. The parish went through a financially difficult period in the 1960s and 1970s, with the possibility of bankruptcy in 1973, and razing the church for an apartment building was briefly considered. Parish established July 10, 1858. The new building was dedicated on January 25, 1885, but was still not complete at that time: the 114-foot (35m) towers had yet to reach their final height, and much of the interior declarations were still to be installed.. to mature spiritually through the challenge and guidance of the Holy Spirit; to welcome and serve otherseven the littlest and the weakestin the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. Paul the Apostle, Church of" in, U.S. National Register of Historic Places, Learn how and when to remove this template message, National Register of Historic Places listings in New York County, New York, "Locations: Church of St. Paul the Apostle".  Twelve of the stops are made up of pipework from the church's previous instrument, E.M. Skinner Opus 544, built in 1925. to worship God through the Eucharist; to proclaim the reconciling love of God in Christ by word, deed and Evangelization;
A day-in-the-life look at St. Pauls on an Ash Wednesday: A YouTube playlist of Masses and more at St. Pauls: Contact the Office of Mission Advancement. At the front of the sanctuary, with large pedal towers that surround the high altar, sits the main organ. "Church of St. Paul the Apostle Designation Report", New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission, "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Church of St. Paul the Apostle", New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, "Church of St. Paul the Apostle, New York", Paulist Fathers, "Opus 544: Church of St. Paul the Apostle (New York City, NY)", "Church of St. Paul the Apostle - New York City", "3001, Roosevelt/Welte-Tripp, New York, NY", Library of Congress American Memory materials, Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church, Our Lady of the Nativity of Our Blessed Lady's Church, Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Church of Our Lady of the ScapularSt.
 Other artists who worked within include Augustus Saint-Gaudens, Frederick MacMonnies, and Bertram Goodhue, who is responsible for the floor mosaics. Stephen, Church of Sts. The new Motherhouse was erected in 1932. From 1996 to 2003, it was the home of the multi-annual Big Apple Comic Convention.
Volume 3: The Province of Baltimore and the Province of New York, Section 1: Comprising the Archdiocese of New York and the Diocese of Brooklyn, Buffalo and Ogdensburg.  The building utilized Tarrytown grey granite stones salvaged from the Croton Aqueduct along with stones from other structures in Manhattan.
Later stained glass windows were added by John LaFarge. The church sold the western part of their lot in the mid-1980s, and was able to build a new Parish Center at 405 West 59th Street by selling its air rights to enable the building of a 40-story apartment tower, which sits close to the church's south tower.. , Historic church in New York, United States, Ordinaries of the Archdiocese of New York, Wilkins, Sharon.
With 4,965 pipes, the instrument has 4 manuals (keyboards), 83 ranks, and 78 stops. The current organ at The Church of St. Paul the Apostle is M.P. George Deshon, a military engineer trained at West Point, who took over the project six years into construction when O'Rourke died, and probably simplified the design. It was greatly impacted by creation of the Lincoln Center just two blocks to the north. A new parish center was dedicated in 2000.
The New York Daily Tribune reviewed the architecture as "vast, plain, fortress-like in its solidityalmost repelling in the aesthetic cast without and within, yet it is the most August, unworldly interior of this continent. The parish's last school closed in 1974.
To see a list of the Paulist Fathers who live next door to St. Paul the Apostle, please visit the entry for our Motherhouse.
Associate Pastor: Fr. The Catholic Church in the United States of America: Undertaken to Celebrate the Golden Jubilee of His Holiness, Pope Pius X. Perched on the south wall of the sanctuary is the nave organ.
It also hosts a bookstore and gift shop at the east end of the nave.  The organ speaks from two different parts of the room, giving the effect of two instruments in one.